For many of us, holiday travel is inevitable. We have a few tips for reducing your waste as you visit your family and friends this year. Click here if you missed blog 1: Zero Waste Holiday Parties and Decorations, or blog 2: Zero Waste Guide to Gifts and Gift Wrapping of the three-part Guide to a Greener Holiday series.
- Bring your own reusable, TSA-approved toiletry bottles for shampoo, soaps, and lotions or try solid shampoo bars without any plastic packaging.
- Pack a reusable laundry bag (like an old pillowcase) to avoid the hotel’s plastic one.
- Travel with a reusable water bottle, coffee thermos, and utensil set.
- Bring snacks to avoid the single-use items provided.
- Place the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on your hotel door to refuse room service and save replacement items you may not need.
- If you would like room service, hang your towels to indicate that you do not need new ones.
- Ask for your hotel receipts to be provided via email.
- Download boarding passes to your phone instead of printing them.
- Take public transportation whenever possible.
We hope these tips will help you celebrate this season! This time of year, it’s easy to get swept up in the festivities and not think about the waste we are producing, but a few small changes to your parties, gift exchanges, and travel plans can help keep your holiday greener than ever. We all have a responsibility to take care of our ocean and Great Lakes, during the holidays and all year round.